Tuesday, January 6, 2015

What my future husband will look like...



Okay, so maybe that's not the best title.  I'm not talking looks.  Of course, he will be handsome.  I'm talking about perception.  How his presence in my life will look to me.  I decided to make a list of the qualities I absolutely MUST have in my partner.  Of course this list is not all inclusive.  I'm sure I've left something off that I'll think of later.  But here's what I came up with.

1. Honesty- in all things.  This includes "lying by omission."  Be open and honest about all aspects of life and work.  Doing the right thing when no one is watching.

2. Responsibility- Act like an adult.  Make good decisions.  Take responsibility for your mistakes.  Take care of things that need to be done in a timely manner without having to be told, reminded, supervised, or praised.

3. Motivation- Get up and take charge.  Take the initiative.  Don't waste your life sleeping and watching TV.

4. Respect- Listening to my opinions and feelings and taking them into consideration before acting.  Treating me like a lady. Taking care of my property as well as, if not better than, your own.  Consulting with me before making plans.  Not talking about me behind my back.

5. Maturity- Having the ability to control your emotions and take full responsibility for your actions.  Being able to handle situations and people (children!) appropriately regardless of anger, disappointment, resentment, fear, etc.

6. Compassion/empathy- Caring about the feelings of others, especially our family and friends.  Being able to help others whether or not there is anything to gain from it.

7. Compatibility- Being a good partner.  Getting along.  Enjoying the same things. Understanding each other.  Laughing together.  Playing together.  Wanting to spend time together, either alone or with other people.

So, what do you think of my list?  Any to add?  What do you look for in a partner?

No comments:

Post a Comment